• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Here's a Great Recipe for...

#53640 3 years, 1 month ago
There was so much talk of food last night, it seemed like a good time to start a thread dedicated to recipes. Since food can be both art and poetry, I'm hoping this will fit right in. I know there's a lot of us out there who like to cook, so how about we share some of our favorites on an ongoing basis? Let us know what worked, what didn't and what was so good you're going to make another batch right this minute!
With apologies for posting this for a second time, I'll start it out with something for the gardeners:

Habenero Pepper Sauce:

12 habeneros, chopped after removing stems (wearing gloves suggested)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbl vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice

Saute onion, garlic in oil until soft. Add carrots and a couple tablespoons of water, bring to boil then simmer until soft. Blend veggie mixture with habeneros in blender or processor until smooth. Return to stove and add vinegar and lime juice and simmer for a few more minutes to combine the flavors.

Keeps in refrigerator for a couple of weeks (if you're a canner you can put into sterilized jars).

-
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , edheadwharfrat, FurthurFlower67, newyawker
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Here's a Great Recipe for...

#53647 3 years, 1 month ago
That sounds yummy. If for some reason I expire from this recipe. You will have instructions sent on where you can pick up my Furthur tickets for Red Rocks.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by strangerinboulder.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#53662 3 years, 1 month ago
12 habeneros, chopped

Ok I read this first and a big list i was expecting

11 french hens

2 turtle doves
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#53670 3 years, 1 month ago
I'll share a recipe I have for a Gooey Butter Cake. Its a St. Louis trademark LOL It's not my own recipe but I've tried a few different out and this is by far the best!!

For crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened

For filling:
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar

1. Prepare the crust. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Pat into the bottom and sides of a greased 9-by-9-by-2-inch pan.

2. Prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl, beat 1 1/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cup butter until light and fluffy. Mix in egg until combined. A bit at a time, alternately add 1 cup flour and evaporated milk, mixing after each addition. Add corn syrup and vanilla. Mix at medium speed until well blended.

3. Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until cake is nearly set. DO NOT OVER COOK. Let cool in pan.

If you do make this recipe remember not to over cook it. You want all the ooey gooey goodness!!! I recommend baking for 30 minutes exactly.

gooey.jpg
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by FurthurFlower67.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , irishqueenie, SunshineSue, newyawker
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#53683 3 years, 1 month ago
Nice haddock dish here.

Fresh haddock cleaned

Top with sweet roasted red peppers in oil
add anchovies if you like them
breadcrumbs and grated italian cheese. Reggianno if you want. Peccorino romano is also very good
finish with olive oil butter garlic sauce. White wine if youd like also.
Bake for 15 mins at 400. Broil until golden brownontop
serve with [pasta aglio e olio on same dish

aglio e olio

olive oil (Extra virgin if possible)
little butter
fresh garlic
parsley
grated cheese.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , FurthurFlower67
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#53725 3 years, 1 month ago
That haddock sounds great! And Queenie, I often have to feed a hungry band on Friday nights, so I'd love that taco pie recipe and any cheap-chicken-for-a-group recipes. Those would go well with the gooey butter cake that the St. Louis-native drummer will appreciate, thanks to FF67. : )
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#53730 3 years, 1 month ago
I cook for the week on Sunday.

Excellent dishes for groups. I learned to cook over a campfire, for hippies, so my meals tend to have few pots, are set to feed lots of people, and have good leftovers. Plenty of rice and beans type stuff.

This weekend I'll try to post what I'm cooking, and get a few pics.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#53745 3 years, 1 month ago
Pasta Fagglioli (Fazool) is an awesome meal for many at a time.

White canneloni beans
Ditalini pasa
Red sauce

(Meat if you desire) Sausage, pepperoni, prosciutto, etc etc.

the recepie is one can of beans per 2 cans of homemade tomato sauce.

empty beans and juice of beans into sauce pan. fresh garlic, basil, salt pepper. Add one can of water. Simmer until beans soft.

Add tomato sauce, flavor to taste.

Cook ditalini pasta 'al dente' add to beans and sauce. Thin with water if necessary. Should not be pasty but should not also be soupy.

I am making a barrel of this saturday for a few friends.
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, maredwar, SunshineSue, FurthurFlower67
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#53757 3 years, 1 month ago
that gooey desert looks good... never heard of it before....

Here's my contribution from this weekend: Baklava 100% from scratch.... and delish (though not as flaky... next time in the layers I will add a little cold butter in the layers before rolling them out, to help make more flaky layers....) Here's the backstory: latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-ramadan-rec2-20110825,0,820895.story

latimes.com
Recipe: Baklava
August 25, 2011
www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-rama...10825,0,820895.story

Total time: 2½ hours

Servings: This makes about 3 dozen pieces

Note: You can substitute prepared puff pastry sheets for homemade dough if desired (1 sheet of puff pastry for each 20-layer sheet of homemade dough); bake at 375 degrees and omit brushing the puff pastry with melted butter before baking. We tested using 4 (9½-inch square) prepared sheets and made 2 baklava using the amount of walnuts and prepared syrup given below.

2 cups sugar

1¾ cups water

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon baking powder

4 cups plus 2½ tablespoons (17.64 ounces) flour

2 eggs

1/2 cup cooking oil

1/2 cup plain yogurt

Cornstarch, for flouring

Scant 4 cups (1 pound, 2 ounces) walnuts, coarsely ground

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted

1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.

2. In a large bowl, sift together the baking powder with the flour. In a separate medium bowl, beat together the eggs, cooking oil and yogurt. Gently stir the liquid ingredients into the dry. Knead to a fairly soft but not sticky dough, adding a little water if necessary.

3. Divide the dough into 40 equal pieces (each will weigh about three-fourths of an ounce and will be about the size of a walnut in its shell). Roll out each one to the size of a small breakfast plate (about 5 inches in diameter), sprinkling with starch to stop the dough from sticking to the counter or pastry board. Stack 20 of the pastry sheets, sprinkling starch in between each layer. Roll out the stacked sheets at once until the dough is about 15½ inches in diameter. (You will need to place it on a large rimmed baking sheet; if you do not have one that's big enough, divide the dough into 80 equal pieces and prepare 2 smaller trays of baklava.)

4. Lay the combined rolled sheets of dough on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the ground walnuts evenly over. Roll out the next 20 sheets of dough in the same way as the first batch and place on top of the walnuts. Using a sharp knife, cut the baklava into parallel slices about 2 inches apart, then rotate the baking sheet by 45 degrees and cut again into parallel slices.

5. Spoon the melted butter over the baklava. Bake until the top of the baklava is golden and crisp, 30 to 45 minutes. Remove and pour over the cooled syrup. Serve hot or cold.

Each of 36 pieces: 265 calories; 4 grams protein; 24 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 18 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 26 mg cholesterol; 12 grams sugar; 21 mg sodium.

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by lostsailor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue, FurthurFlower67, newyawker
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#53765 3 years, 1 month ago
I think I have a recipe for the apple brownies I brought to the gathering before Bethel posted on my "wall" --- whatever that is and however you get to it......

There so good, it's not chocolatey at all, its like a spice cake texture, they just look like brownies thats how they got there name. its not our own recipe but I never hear of them anywhere else
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by MushroomMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds